St Martin's House, 63 West Stockwell St. Colchester, CO1 1HE
Tel: 01206 577676, Fax: 01206 548704

The Chestnuts, 4 Stortford Road, Great Dunmow, Essex, CM6 1DA
Tel: 01371 873277, Fax: 01371 859232

Main Website:
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm    Saturday 9am - 1pm

When a person dies and they have left a Will, within that Will they will have appointed one or more Executors who will sort out their affairs. If a person has died without leaving a Will, then it will be necessary for a person to be appointed to be their Administrator who will sort out their affairs. It can be a very stressful and difficult time for people and our Probate team here are experienced in dealing with this type of matter and endeavour to take some of the burden from the Executors and family, giving advice and help where needed.

In order to deal with the estate left by a person, more often or not it is necessary to obtain a Grant of Probate (where a Will has been left) or a Grant of Letters of Administration (where no Will has been left) in order to obtain closure or transfer of the assets. This involves completion of an HM Revenue & Customs account detailing all of the assets and liabilities comprised in the estate. Collecting this information can be quite time consuming and sometimes difficult for many people and we would be happy to do this for you and obtain a Grant of Probate on your behalf. If required, we can also carry out the administration of the whole estate for you which would mean dealing with any Inheritance Tax liability, cashing the assets, dealing with any transfers of assets, disposing of a property, sorting out the Income Tax position to the date of death and dealing with the final distribution to the beneficiaries named in the Will.

Our team is experienced in dealing with small or large estates including business assets, farmland and foreign assets.

The services with which we would be pleased to help you are:-

We will tell you what our costs will be in administering the estate after our initial interview with you and we also detail what expenses would be payable such as Court fees or Land Registry charges.